Slowly, Slowly I Embrace the Internet

I like to keep the Internet at a distance. I like to watch it at a safe distance and hope my ‘fight-or-flight’ instincts do not start to kick in. However, this semester I sought to change this behavior.

So, I enrolled in Digital Storytelling  (DS106) with instructor Jim Groom for my final semester of undergrad. I expected to learn a few tips and tricks about blogging and that’s about it. Honestly, I was expecting an easy ‘A’. What I did not expect was being left on an Internet island of doom with a domain name and no map.

Now, I am in the driver seat with a steep learning curve ahead. In the last week I was able to successfully connect my domain name (mc-guirk.us) with a webhost, installed WordPress (most proud of that one), and successfully installed a WordPress theme. Easy.

Not easy: learning why the next day it all disappeared. Network caching is a horrible, horrible thing, but my to-do list is slowly getting accomplished.

To Do:

1. Install Akismet API key, check.

2. Subscribe to Comments, check.

3. Install Titter Tools, check but still working on it too.

4. Get JetPack, check, still need to learn more about what it does.

Currently, I’m working on the sites look, how to customize its font, and where my blog posts go (don’t judge). In short, Jim Groom, fellow ds106 pioneers and my parents, I look forward to embracing this new challenge and seriously would love any tips you can throw my direction.

Tags: , , ,

3 Responses to “Slowly, Slowly I Embrace the Internet”

1. Russell says:

This post makes you seem very likeable. I like how it is short and to the point. I look forward to seeing your BLAWG progress and I hope you fully embrace your BLAWG and post juicy info about your personal life so me and the rest of the BLAWGOSPHERE can know things about you without actually talking to you.

2. Miss MC says:

Hi Linda!

Thank you for your support! Network caching is often a good thing. It makes loading faster on large networks by making a memory of a web page. A problem arises if the network doesn’t update its memory when a web page updates. As a result, when I was loading my blog I was seeing the old Hover page. It was a pain.

But to answer your question about how to customize font, it’s a breeze, but I’ll whip up a quick tutorial for you!

3. Linda says:

Well, I’m glad you made it, Miss Guirk!
    Already, you know so much more than me. My process went very smoothly, so I have no idea what network cashing is. Perhaps you can explain your experience in a future post? And how do you customize the fonts? Do you have to learn CSS?

Don’t be intimidated. You know a lot more than at least one person. 🙂