Our professors are beginning a new romance. As young people continue to use emerging technologies in their personal lives, a large number of educators are finding ways to meaningfully integrate technologies in the classroom, and are falling in love. And why shouldn’t they?

There is soo many shiny, pretty tools including blogs, Wikipedia, podcasts, Twitter, and Youboodtube. What makes these tools so compelling is the nature of communication on the web. As our friend Bryan Alexander writes, “Web 2.0 has led to an explosion of user-generated content” or as our other friend Tim O’Reilly says,  “[Web 2.0] harnesses collective intelligence.” Global interaction never felt so good.

Our infatuated friend Bryan shows us different techniques of storytelling and what makes a successful story. With the web, storytelling has expanding beyond our traditional definitions. A single photo is as rich of a story as Dickinson, and you don’t need to be Dickinson to have your story heard. The web enables us to share and create our own stories with anyone, including our professors.

Moreover, digital storytelling (hey ds106) extends beyond the classroom. This creative work provides students a foundation for what we’ll call 21st century literacy, which includes digital literacy (e.g. blogz), technological literacy (e.g. code), visual literacy, informational literacy, etc. Digital storytelling is exactly what students want to learn, because so much of what we do in ‘real world’ involves these skills. The situation is analogous to the education shift to using software programs in the classroom back in the mid-90’s.

Now we just need more professors to get bit by this love bug.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “42”

1. lockmantuj says:

Groom, look at what’s becoming of your ds106! It shan’t be long until the students begin teaching the teachers.

I don’t think admin will approve of such developments (you know: learning outcomes, rubrics, and All That Jazz).

It’s a reference from class. It’s the answer to everything!

3. Jim Groom says:

Awesome post, and the use of links is something I will talk about on Tuesday, the web is still links at its very soul, and you illustrate that beautifully. can I just ask you one thing, what is 42?

I believe in the power of DS106. I trust our pioneers to do great things!

5. lockmantuj says:

Well said. Thanks for the explanation.

I think the anxiety you mention is a big obstacle. I also think that for a lot of profs, there’s a fear of giving up control of the course over to the students. This to me has been a huge part of the intoxicating power of the ds106 method.

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

hahaha I’m glad someone is clicking on all of those links!

I am glad that you asked me that question. My rational behind including the Lady Gaga music video is based on the following series of lyrics she sang:

want your ugly
    I want your disease
    I want your everything
    As long as it’s free
    I want your love

It’s important to acknowledge that the internet is not always a pure learning and creative environment, but does have a lot of ‘disease’ (e.g. EMRE 5807). For that reason, many professors are anxious to use the tools available to them on the internet in their classrooms. Yet, the interest to capture the gains from the internet is a very seductive notion. So, there is a dual consciousness of being anxious yet eager for the love of the internet.

As far as convincing more professors to get bit by the love bug will probably take classes like ds106 to show that the diseases of the internet is worth its love. However, I do acknowledge that Lady Gaga was probably making greater claims about the abusive and cruel music industry in her video, and not making any reference to ds106, but it was an interesting metaphor for the internet.

8. Brian Brown says:

Great use of links, particularly Dickinson and 2st century. I fully agree that this era of storytelling is something that should be celebrated and embraced, rather than rejected as unconventional and silly.

9. lockmantuj says:

Every time I see the video you linked to, I feel disoriented for a while. So my comment might be even less coherent than usual.

First, I think this is an awesome post. Your statement that the skills, techniques and mindset at play in the ds106 universe are what students desire is very encouraging. I’m really quite shocked with how quickly everything is coming together so quickly this semester in terms of rich and compelling creative works by so many students.

I am curious to hear your ideas about what it would take for more professors to be biten by the “love bug” you mention at the close. And how is this related to Lady Gaga’s True Romance video?