OneShotStory

Enchanted

The goal of this assignment is to take a photo that can be chopped up, rearranged, and formatted to tell a story. I wanted to tell the story of two lovers (re)encountering each other.

The Process:

I took this photo while hiking on a very bright afternoon. First, I used a black and white filter to suggest a dream-like narrative. I altered the exposure on the image of the trees to create the ‘tension’ of a nightmarish state. Last, I used the cropping tool to focus on different aspects of the photo. All of this was accomplished with simple editing tools featured on iphoto.

I used the tool Chogger to achieve the comic book feel. However, finding Chogger was my biggest challenge. When I first approached this assignment I knew I want to use PikiStrips but I soon discovered that site is down. Boo PikiStrips. However, I persevered aka used the Google till I stumbled upon Chogger. This site requires you to register for an account but it is freeeeee.

After I register I clicked the green ‘Build A Comic Now’ Button.

This brought me to its main set up page.

To add images you can either draw one into the white boxes, take a photo from your webcam, or upload a photo from you computer. I already had my altered images to use so I clicked on the ‘upload’ button. I did not like the size of the default boxes but thankfully Chogger enables you move, add, and delete boxes, so did not have to distort my images.

This is where it gets tricky. After you publish your comic its filed away into Chogger’s database of doom (think of a less organized Flikr). To find your photo again you will have to search its title. In addition, there is no explicit embed feature but you can just grab the image straight from the site.

Let me know what you think! For those of you who are curious about the original assignment, check out the ds106 site under visual assignments!

Tags: , , , ,

6 Responses to “OneShotStory”

1. […] as I mentioned in my previous post, there is no explicit embed option on the Chogger site but you can just grab the image straight […]

2. Brian Brown says:

I was uncertain about this assignment but you have given me light. I think the dreamlike state works great, and you show that something seemingly simple can tell much more

3. Miss MC says:

That’s fair. In my first draft I did have the link but I second guessed myself, and took it out. I’ll squeeze it back in there.

Also, I’m so glad that you called Bryan Alexander ‘The Bearded One.’ That might have to become our next meme! Watch out Jim Groom….

4. lockmantuj says:

I think you’ve splendidly executed an assignment that has never really sparked my imagination. After seeing this, now it has.

I’m still a bit unclear on the assignment instructions, a link back to the original assignment would be almost as valuable as the pictures of Brook Shields and Jimmy McNichol in Romeo and Juliet or The Bearded One.

I’m also grateful for the link to Chogger. I’ve been wondering if such comic creation websites exist. Now I know.

Thank you for sharing this great assignment.

5. Feng Chen says:

This appears to be a fine work of art and creation! Nicely organized/edited! I love the concept of framing pictures, maybe I’ll give it a try on my next visual assignment. Thanks for your excellent input 🙂

6. Jim Groom says:

Rachel,
    My wife and I constantly talk abotu doing this assignment, but for us it is conceptually one of the absolute hardest. You nailed it here. Cutting up an original photo to tell a story is harder than it appears, and you make it look dead simple. Brava! What’s more, you narrate your process beautifully and your creativity is contagious. Awesome work.