Comic Wars, the Animation

Due to other ds106 pioneers success with GIFs, I wanted to challenge myself with this assignment. It took me a while to figure out what cover I wanted to do, but I finally settled on this provocative comic cover. Honestly, I do not know anything about Marvel/DC characters or comic book history, but I loved the blood on the shield, the fierce looking characters, and the refined details of this one.

On the technical side, making the GIF was a very involved process, without too much to show for it. I am still experimenting with the tools and features in GIMP, so the technical skill behind this GIF is low. First, I need to figure out the basics to creating a GIF, while hunting in The Google I found this tutorial. The guy is a little sporadic and probably 14 but he provides a solid foundation for a basic GIF.

Next, I decided to create a modest GIF by focusing on making the shield spin. First I created a duplicate layer of the original image. Next, I cropped the shield from the second layer away from the background.

Next, I clicked on the ‘rotate’ tool (the one of the two blue squares), and rotated the image by 90 degrees.

Then, I saved the image. Next, I isolated the newly rotated shield then cut/pasted it into the original layer. Last, I dragged the rotated shield into position. I repeated this process two more times until I created four separate images with the shield in four different positions.

To learn how to save the new creation, I followed the tutorial posted above. This is where it gets tricky: embedding the GIF into WordPress. To successfully embed a GIF click on New Post -> Upload/Insert -> (select your GIF file) -> Insert. Be mindful to keep the GIF in its original size. Do not be tempted to size it down, because it will not animate in your post.

Overall, this was a simple, clean animated GIF. It also marks my journey/struggle with GIMP. Soon I aspire to make a GIF like this one, it’s the dream.

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “Comic Wars, the Animation”

1. Daniel Dobbins says:

wow! dont think I have to say much more, great job, and great tutorial , very impressive work

2. This is fantastic and love the accompanying tutorial! 🙂

3. Annie Belle says:

this is great, rachel! I’m a big fan. 🙂

4. Miss MC says:

I like your eye for detail. I knew there was something off but I could not put my finger on it.

5. Thomas says:

This is pretty awesome. I only wish the glare on the shield stayed in the same place, but that would’ve been wayyyy more work to pull off, so it’s understandable. Still awesome.

6. […] was done in GIMP.  I read through this write-up by another DS106er on a similar process, which gave me a good couple of clues. Then I […]

7. Briana says:

This is awesome! I’ve been looking at this assignment, but I’ve been scared to try it. I think I’ll use your tutorial to try it.

8. […] really know where to start when creating one like this.  I was inspired to try it after I saw MC-Guirk’s assignment, and her wonderful tutorial on how to do it.  The tutorial in the linked post was so […]

9. You did a fantastic job with this! Also, thank you so much for the tutorial. I was able to complete this assignment because of your help!

10. Jim Groom says:

A gif is different than embedding it within a larger image and isolating that part convincingly. This is mad skill, and your first attempt was extremely impressive. Kudos!

11. Miss MC says:

Psh, I have seen the GIFs you have made in the past and they are fantastic!

12. Otto Paertz says:

Yes, Herr Professor Groom. This is a very scary assignment, I understand your deep fear. You might need to have your CogDog hold your hand as you try to animate your Richie Rich comic book covers.

13. Jim Groom says:

What’s more, awesome tutorial/step-by-step. I now promise I will try this one.

14. Jim Groom says:

Are you kidding me? This is AMAZING. I love this assignment, but have to admit I have been way too scared to try it, you are now officially my idol. Killing ds106 one assignment at a time—awesome work, Rachel.