Dead Man’s Chest Movie Poster

I’ll be honest: I don’t know much about graphic art. I’ve seen it. I’ve spent a lot time wandering the rooms of the MoMa looking pensive, and ds106 is currently producing a lot of hot art. But nothing has made me appreciate graphic art more than designing a minimalist movie poster.

With this assignment I wanted to experiment with texture and shape. It took me a while to figure out what movie I wanted to do, but I finally settled on the Pirates’ movie Dead Man’s Chest. Second, I needed to watch the movie again (very necessary). While I was watching the film, I was drawn to the character Jack Sparrow’s face painting as the Cannibal King.

It is a key scene to the film. The character Jack Sparrow is found on a remote island but is in a bit of a tight spot. This plot twist means that the character Will Turner (Orlando) must not only escape from the island himself but must also rescue Jack from the Cannibals.

The Design

I wanted to poster to look like a ghostly pirate treasure map. First, I search for an image in The Google for a photo of tea stained paper. I found one easily and downloaded the imaged into GIMP.

Next, I found an icon of an eye in the NounProject. In GIMP I altered the color of the eyes from black to brown. Next, I needed to draw the lines. In order to draw straight lines in GIMP select the paint brush tool, hold down shift key, and click the spot where you want to line to end (keep holding that shift key).

Next, I added the text to the poster. Last, I uploaded the image to Picnik in order to alter the tint of the color. I added a green color filter to achieve to the ghostly effect.

The Results

DS106 has produced a lot of fantastic designs for this assignment. Some examples can to found here, here and here. I did fret for a long time trying to get the lines in the design to be perfectly symmetrical. There are close, but not perfect. Overall, I am pleased with my work.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Dead Man’s Chest Movie Poster”

1. Jim Groom says:

This is a brilliant minimalist movie poster, and your write-up of the process really takes me through your thinking and process—excellent. I love that this design is born out of the film in a way that forces you to think about the significance of particular moment. What;’ more, the face design becomes iconic—I love it. And yet another awesome piece of art to the mix, you all are really stepping things up to the next level. Very impressive.

2. Brian Brown says:

I agree with all the others, kobie on the design and creating a worn, washed up look. Thanks for always illustrating the process and other people’s work, makes us feel all like connected and stuff

3. Linda says:

Wow, Rachel! That is sooooooo good! IT’S SO GOOD that it makes me TALK LIKE ANNIE!!!!!!!! 😉

I also love your thought process. Thanks for sharing!

4. Annie Belle says:

RACHEL, AT IT AGAAAAIIIINNNN!!!!!!!!!!! :0) I am such a fan of you and your work. Awesome poster, friend.

5. Miss MC says:

I found the font on defont.com and downloaded it onto my computer. I don’t remember its exact name but there are hundreds of fonts to browse through.

And the ghostly antique look was mostly achieved by the green filter.

6. oh and what font did you use? did it already have the antiqued look or was that a filter?

7. Sweet poster! I really love the whole concept, design, and finished product. And thank you SO MUCH for the tip on how to draw straight lines in GIMP. I looked and looked and couldn’t find that as an option anywhere. The drawing tools I did find seemed to be for those with very good hand-eye-screen coordination. Not me! 🙂 Great work and awesome easy to read post.

8. Colin Schulz says:

Your movie poster for Pirates of the Caribbean is amazing. What you did with the poster and how to described it really proved how much work you put into it. I also think your movie choice was great, I saw it and would see it again for sure.