I Read Birds

Here is my take on the I Can Read assignment. I created a cover of the first horror movie I ever saw, The Birds. If you haven’t seen the film it’s an Alfred Hitchcock classic about a costal town in California being attacked by ordinary birds-not birds of prey.

Melanie: Have you ever seen so many gulls? What do you suppose it is?

Mrs. MacGruder: Well, there must be a storm at sea. That can drive them inland, you know.

The cover captures the theme of the movie that thousands of birds are always chillin’ everywhere. The sheer number of the birds makes this film eerie and unsettling.

The Process

I mimicked the format of Spacesick’s design. First, I uploaded one of his designs in GIMP, and cut out his work. I was left with a clean slate. Next, I found the bird icon in the NounProject. I used the cloning tool to stamp out each bird. Then I painted each bird with the paint bucket.

It was an easy process but it was time consuming. If I had the time I would create a different design, but instead I used my free time to fiddle with the minimalist poster (see yesterday’s post).

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “I Read Birds”

1. Feng Chen says:

Love this cover, and the way you portrayed the birds. Big kudos to you, Rachel 🙂

2. Miss MC says:

Aww thanks girl!

3. Miss MC says:

I designed the red bird to purposefully face the opposite way as a symbol of fear. What makes Alfred Hitchcock’s film powerful is that everyday, innocuous birds are attacking townspeople for no real solid reason. Yes, technically they ate some bad shrimp but I’m going for a doomsday demon bird.

So watch out Jim Groom…

4. Jim Groom says:

I Can Read Movies is one of my own personal favorite design assignments, and you nailed the birds. What’s the significance of the ast bird turned to face the others an red? Is that the one bad bird that turned the batch? 😉

I think keeping with the I Can Read movies aesthetics is an excellent way to go, an you really did a wonderful job on your design assignments, brava!

5. Linda says:

Very cool. 🙂

6. Annie Belle says:

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel!! That’s my girl!! Coming through with the ‘I Can Read Movies’ minimalism assignment!! :0) Great job! I love it!