Raging Bull Radio

This week I wanted to challenge myself with this awesome assignment for DS106 radio which turns a movie into a good radio show. In essence, my goal was to transform a movie’s soundtrack (music, dialogue, sound effects) into a condensed abstract version of the film. Ever since I read the details of this assignment I have been eager to tackle Martin Scorsese’s film Raging Bull.

The Process:

At first, I tried to learn how to rip audio from a video. After watching several tutorial and playing around with iMovie for far too long, I admitted defeat.

Next, I found high quality recordings of the film and used my computer’s internal recorder to capture the audio. I did struggle with trying to reduce the horrendous feedback noise. I succeed in mitigating some of the feedback but not all of it- whatever. After a few tedious hours I had all of the audio I needed.

My goal was to capture the artist feel of the film, and the contradictions of the main character, Jake LaMotte’s identity . For those of you who have not seen this film 1) shame on you 2) it will change your perspective on Robert De Niro’s skillz as an actor (damn you Meet the Parents).

Jake LaMotte is a famous boxer that is emotionally self-destructive. He is violent with a hot temper, which makes him successful in the ring but destroys his life outside of the ring.

A key element I wanted to focus on what the role of Cavalleria Rusticana’s song Intermezzo in the film. This song is played throughout the film and is implemented during high emotional moments.

Overall, if you have seen the film then the narrative will remind you of different aspects of film, however, if you have not then you might be a little confused, all the more reason to finally go and see this film!

So without further to do- Raging Bull in four minutes:

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “Raging Bull Radio”

1. Jim Groom says:

Paul,

Where is your attempt with Dirty Harry? I would love to listen to that.

2. paul says:

I like your choice of movies, and I like what you’ve done with it. It is a time consuming project – I tried it with Dirty Harry.
    Another way to capture audio, if you use a Mac, is to use a free program called Soundflower in conjunction with Audacity. Basically you set Soundflower as your audio output in System Preferences, and in Audacity you make Soundflower the audio input. No feedback involved. There’s a tutorial on Youtube about it.

3. This audio track was awesome, along with the movie! The beginning part reminded me of all sorts of emotion and drama throughout the entire film. Your tutorial was extremely helpful as well. I was going to try out that same audio assignment even though it wasn’t assigned in my class.. all because it seemed pretty nifty. Nice job! & extremely helpful for future assignments. Thank you!

4. Miss MC says:

Thanks Linda! It only took me all day Saturday. 😉

5. Miss MC says:

Geez I wish I knew about this sooner! I spent soo long trying to figure out how to rip audio.

I agree about adding music during the dialogues in order to add more emotional drama. Initially I wanted to preserve the integrity of the film but without the intense cinematography it did not translate well. When I find time I will have to tweak it.

6. Linda says:

Wow. That’s awesome, Rachel! It must have taken you hours to put this together.

7. Jim Groom says:

When I think of this film I always think of the opening scene when the fighting in the ring spills out into the audience which parallels the theme of Jake LaMotta’s life brilliantly. I wonder how you might put the intermezzo underneath the speaking parts to add that sense of emotion—integrate it more seamlessly into that breakdown of LaMotta’s life and the vision of his fall to make the drama and dialogue correspond more specifically.

Pro tip: One way I am able to rip audio from a movie file (avi, mp4, mov, etc.) is open it with MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/) and export the audio separately. Pretty seamless.