in[SPIRE]

My fascination with electronic literature started when I accidently stumbled upon Dr. Whalen’s blog for his E-Lit class. I discovered a whole new world of narratives in the form of hypertext stories. So, for my final project for DS106 I want to create my own e-lit masterpiece.

A key part of the DS106 community is the connections between all of the pioneers. We have knitted together an intimate community that is not only participating in its structure but also creating it. However, to the outsider it’s a group a crazy people shouting out strange acronyms (e.g. TDC) and laughing at complex inside jokes.

To mitigate our esoteric nature, I want to create an interconnecting diagram that will highlight connections, stories, and dialogues between members of the DS106 community. Ideally, a person can map another pioneer’s creative journey and progress in DS106.

In regards to the visual element, I envisioned a cyborg brain with circuits and semiconductors. Then when a person clicks on a resonator or capacitor there will be a story.

My hope is that this project will be carried on by future DS106 pioneers and the web of connections will continue to grow and become more complex.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “in[SPIRE]”

1. James Cruz says:

Rachel this is an awesome idea. I cant wait to see the final product.

2. Miss MC says:

Thank you the encouragement! I too have seen similar projects to this one. It reassures me that this project can be done and not only exist in my brain.

In addition, you bring up an interesting point. I love that you are already think of connections and stories that you could write too, because I do not want this project to be ‘DS106 as told by Rachel MC.’ Rather, my desire is to have everyone participate in the story and add connections too in order to create a more dynamic narrative.

3. I love this. A lot. It has my own brain thinking in about a million different directions about how I connect with this idea so much. There is a mind mapping tool called The Brain that I used once, which was super cool, if I recall.
    Also, when I was chatting about education and learning in another course the facilitator Dave Cormier talked about rhizomatic learning (i.e. rhizomes as a metaphor for community and learning paths) and I asked why we don’t use neurons as a metaphor as it just seems more apt.
    Now, I don’t want to lead you down random tangential paths but rather let you know I think this project idea is totally cool.

4. Miss MC says:

A lot of thanks to the almighty Picnik for making the brain possible.

5. Miss MC says:

I am looking forward to working on this project with you!

6. Linda says:

And of course, da brain is A. MAZING. Can’t wait to hear all about your process! 🙂

7. Linda says:

Well said. You, Rachel, are definitely the writer in our group of two (or three, if you count JG). I like how you communicate your ideas so well without rambling (I think I’ve said this before). I can’t wait to get started!! 🙂