This is No Cat Fight

This is a 5 second drama. It starts and finishes before you have time to think about what you are seeing.  This is the fastest narrative ever, not counting Maura’s 1 second simile.

For this assignment I decided that the more successful 5 second films would be the ones that are quickly understood. I filmed myself watering plants. Not only is this something I do frequently (I do have a lot of houseplants), but we have all seen a watering can, plants, and understand the concept of watering plants. It does not take a lot of mental energy to figure out the setting and props. This ensures that no one will be lost during the super short drama sequence.

I shot five minutes of film and from that I picked out two 2.5 second clips: Filling up the watering can, emptying the watering can. In iMovie, I deleted the original soundtrack, add a quick music track from Broken Social Scene, and adjusted the saturation to black and white. Film in black and white always looks more elegant.

Overall, I think the clip at the faucet can be cleaner but it is all one complete narrative in only five seconds. Who knew that my plants would one day be famous?

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “This is No Cat Fight”

1. Miss MC says:

This comment is going straight to my ego.

2. Miss MC says:

This is a no smile zone.

3. Jim Groom says:

5 minutes of film for 2 and a half seconds of footage, that’s like Kubrick.

4. James Cruz says:

Where was the smile????

5. best watering of a plant I have seen! Love the music behind it!

6. Katherine says:

This is cool! I like the title that you did it goes with the water scenes well.