Posts Tagged ‘VisualAssignments’

It Wasn’t Funny at the Time

Friday, February 10th, 2012

This is my version of the Comic Book Effect! I jumped on the bandwagon and I thought I would give this assignment a spin.

The Process:

First, I went into Picnik and used the ‘Dots and Dots’ filter to achieve the comic book pixel effect. Next, I altered the exposure by 30% to create the distinct comic book coloring.

Next, I uploaded my photo onto Chogger to add the two speech bubbles. There might be a better site for this aspect of the project but it’s the site I know best. In Chogger, you have four basic speech bubble options, but you can manipulate and distort each one until you have achieved your desired effect.

Last, as I mentioned in my previous post, there is no explicit embed option on the Chogger site but you can just grab the image straight from the site.

This is a fun, easy assignment and I recommend that everyone give this assignment a try!

Don’t Call Me a Hipster!

Thursday, February 9th, 2012

The goal of this assignment was to recreate a famous painting and give it a modern twist. Without any hesitation, I knew I was going to do this assignment on the infamous Frida Kahlo.

The Process:

I settled on Frida’s more famous self-portrait. It was clean, colorful, and spoke to the very essence of Frida. Next, I rounded up my friend Amanda to be my muse. Considering she was Frida for Halloween I knew she would not object to the unibrow.

When concerning the composition, I wanted to portray Frida as a modern American. She was political rebel, feminist, and Surrealist or in other words, a hipster. So I designed the costume to reflect what I image a person at Occupy Wall Street might look like. However, I did want to maintain the integrity of Frida’s unibrow, because it was a critical element of her identity (modern hipsters have discovered tweezers).

During the photo shoot I captured the perfect shot on my first try. But for good measure I took 10 more just in case.

On my computer I cropped the photo, so it would be a little tighter, and adjusted the exposure by 10%. All of this was accomplished in Picnik. Below is master creation!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ta-da!